The Client is a major outsourcee for one of the key record-keeping agencies of the government. Particularly, the task is to maintain and preserve records of critical public and private assets nationwide. For such a mandate, critical performance parameters include reliability, availability, and resiliency. The Client has come to realize that its performance has started to decline, failing in all of the performance metrics they committed.
In fact, at that stage, it was determined that the Storage solution in place was failing. The client realized imminent disaster was looming as it was similarly determined that the Backup and Recovery Systems are also both unreliable, there. A further challenge was the lack of a reliable disaster recovery facility.
As an outsourced service provider, the Client is contracted to perform to a very high service level. And this placed the company in a delicate position at the time, with the following key challenges:
- Overall SLA with end-user client agency was not being met.
- The Disaster Recovery Framework or DRF is not meeting the SLA. Current functionality did not support replication between the production data and the DRF.
THE eBiZ SOLUTION
With the scope of the challenge, eBiZ went about a comprehensive solution broken down as follows:
- Replaced the existing storage with the latest IBM Storwize V7000.
- Migrate all data from existing storage to IBM Storwize V7000.
- Migrate all hosts from existing storage to IBM Storwize V7000.
- Reinstate current IBM Tivoli Storage Manager licenses.
- Provide a reliable tape library with Ultrium 6 drives.
- Implement IBM Tivoli Storage Manager to address recovery and disaster recovery management requirement.
- Transfer existing DRF from Globe Data Center in Cebu to Globe Data Center in Makati.
- Implement asynchronous storage replication between production and DRF.
- Configure for the system to enable end-user to conduct DR tests every quarter with system outage.
- Provide on-site support, 24 x 7 for the duration of the 5-year contract.
THE NET RESULT
The Client is able to focus on meeting its SLAs with the following benefits of the solution:
- Reliable state-of-the-art mid-range storage system
- Reliable enterprise-class backup and recovery system
- Current data is now protected by storage replication and tape media
- Instant restore of files using Tivoli Storage Manager
- Backup and Recovery system can restore files since January 2015
- DR testing is possible every quarter; providing confidence for data reliability and system resiliency
- Fast turnaround time to address outages related to the delivered system
Industry: Government Service Provider
Year Awarded: December 2014
Year Completed: March 2015; System Support December 2019
Number of Employees: 1,500+